Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ball State's Dance Marathon! We Remember Ellie!


Ellie's Banner For Everyone To Be Reminded What They Were Dancing For
-courtesy of BSDM team

In July, we were contacted by Kelli Martin(President of 2011 BSDM) to speak at this year's Dance Marathon at Ball State University. 

Kelli Martin, BSDM 2011 President
and Angel In My Mind! 

Dance Marathon raises money for Riley Hospital for Children.  Schools and organizations host a marathon where students/people dance for either 12, 24 or 36 hours non-stop while raising money for Riley.  Kelli interned at the Ronald McDonald House over the summer and got a hold of our story while there.  We have spoken at events for the Ronald McDonald House of Indiana, however, this was our first time to speak at a Dance Marathon.  We were touched to say the least.  The fact that Ellie's story has traveled and been spoken of has always been my goal.  She had such an amazing journey and touched so many people in her short little life.  "Reaching Others To Help Others".  Out of tragedy always comes good.  Please always remember this.  It is something that has defined my life since 2006. 

So this past Saturday(2/19) we traveled to Muncie, IN to tell our story.   We were scheduled to speak at 10pm.  Our family, besides my mom, are a bunch of night owls!  I planned for Gabby to nap on the way to Muncie with hopes that she would be wide awake for our speech because she normally LOVES to stay up late.  Well, we all know as mothers that 9 times out of 10 when we plan things they usually don't turn out the way they are supposed to.  So why plan then right?  Just kidding!  Gabby did not nap on the way there to say the least.  She was the opposite and enjoyed Grammy's company in the backseat.  She swam in the hotel pool when we got to the hotel as the Dance Marathon Committee arranged for a hotel room.  Thanks So Much!  Gabby loved the pool with Daddy and I was 100% sure she would crash when we got back up to the room for a bit before we headed over to campus to speak.  Nope!  No nap again.  Yikes....  Dinner was a little stressful only because it was a sit down restaurant and we had a little bit of a wait.  What do you expect right?  She is three after all!  We got through that though....schwoo!  

Gabby, all dressed up, sporting her "little sister" shirt for her big sister, Ellie! 


The Chamness Family
Gabby went non-stop...all day and all night!  They had a "family room" for all of the family's that were speaking to hang out in.  Gabby watched movies, worked puzzles, colored pictures, strung beads to make a necklace and ate plenty of candy. 

Grammy and Gabby

They really catered to her and the rest of the family which was really nice!  They had a bounce house in the rec center which is where the dancers were.  Everyone was able to participate if they wanted to...Gabby sure did!   She "LOVED" this part! 

Gabby with Lori(her swim instructor)that also goes to Ball State! 

Gabby was so overheated from that bounce house by the time the evening was over!  I thought she was going to pass out.  She would not even stop for water and we had to practically hold her down to get water down her throat.  I am not exaggerating either!!!  This picture with Lori was the only time she would sit!  Look at how red her face was!  Aaaahhh!  People could also participate in corn hole which is what Jeff and Brandon liked! 
 And Aunt Jeanine and Molly

What a Great Idea! 

Inspiration Room

An Inspiration Room was developed that featured different "Riley Kids" and their stories.  Some of the families were speaking at the Marathon and others were there to participate in the event.  Ellie's story and board was amazing!  I loved every bit of what they did! 

Our Angel

The night was Spectacular!  My family, Aunt Jeanine, Molly and Brandon, came from Indianapolis to support us!  I am so thankful that they made the trip to be with us!  It was so comforting to look down from the stage, while we were speaking, and see your beautiful faces!  You are so important to us!  Thank You from the bottom of our hearts!  We Love You So Much! 

Katie, Jeff, Gabby(hiding), Molly and Brandon
Not sure where Aunt Jeanine was?

And Mom. My wonderful Mother that supports me always! She was with us the entire time. I love you Mom! Thank you for everything you do! I know that Ellie was your salvation and inspired you. But most importantly she made you SO HAPPY! You are beautiful in my eyes always and I love you so very much! Thank You!

When I looked out and saw this image of my Mom and Gabby I truly realized at that moment what is must feel like to have your heart walking outside of your chest.  You care so much for another it hurts.  I love you both so much!  
Mom, Gabby and Katie

Thank you to other family members that were with us in spirit.  Grandad and Mama sure wish they could have joined us.  We know they thought about us all day!  Grampy called first thing Sunday morning and wanted to know all about how it went!  We Love You All!   

The speech went great!  The dancers made a tunnel for us to walk down as we prepared to speak!  I can honestly say that this really touched me!  I wanted to burst out in tears out of gratitude and thankfulness to all of these people that took time out of their lives to save lives!  It was a very special moment!  As we walked, I thought about my college experience.  We participated in Dance Marathon at Indiana State.  I had no clue what the families that spoke to us had experienced?  I really did not think that I would be on the other side of this situation and in the place of those that spoke to us a long time ago...well 11 years ago to be exact.  I also thought about our sweet Angel Ellie.  As we made the looong trek down the aisle I wished so much that she could have been on that walk with us, up on the stage to tell her "survival story", smiling at others as we spoke and wishing that she could have had the opportunity to say a few words herself.  But as I thought more...you know what...SHE WAS THERE!  I felt her!  She was there when we spoke, holding our hands.  She DID survive!  She survived a lot longer than planned.  She survived 6 surgeries that could have ended her life a lot earlier had she not had them.  That made me want to cry harder! 

When we were introduced and started to make our walk down the isle to the podium, Gabby heard everyone start to cheer as they pronounced our name.  She got a little freaked out and turned around to run away. Jeff picked her up and walked with her. So cute! I would have been scared too if I was three honestly! Ha!  I secretly think Ellie turned Gabby around and led her down the isle! :) 

I was super nervous to speak!  I thought before the night, "how hard can this be?  It's a bunch of college kids!  I am older than them"!  Ha!  It was harder than it seemed!  My papers were shaking as I spoke.  Jeff turned each one with hopes that I would not drop my microphone.  He was by my side the entire time as always!  I love you Jeff!  

Gabby was there with us too! She may have gotten a little bored, but she was a trooper and stuck with us! We love you "big" little sister, Gabby!

We met, "Sparkles!  She is a "Riley Kid" and captured my heart!  Her personality brought the biggest smile to many faces!  I saw them all!  She is very special to me and I only spent a few short hours with her!  She stood at the end of the stage and smiled at me the entire time we spoke.  She clapped so hard when we were done.  Awe...my heart melted!  Thank you "Sparkles" for making me happy and reminding me to always try SO hard to help others and most importantly, "be happy" with what we have because you never know who might have it harder!    
"Sparkles" sort of defined this day.  In a way, she along with the other children present
 made me stop, reminisce and continue to be grateful! 

We all came together with a purpose...to help children. For The Kids!  FTK, FTK!  How special is that! I, along with Jeff, am grateful for the many people that we met on this day! It showed me that people do care. Whether we dance, give charitable donations, pray, donate our time at the hospitals or provide service in other ways not mentioned....we all have ways of showing we care. How do you show others that you care? 
However You Do...We Thank You for Caring!!!
I thank you.  Jeff thank's you...even Ellie and Gabby!  
xoxo!   

1 comment:

Staci said...

what a great post! thanks for sharing your experience.